Are you into whipping up something healthy and tasty? Then making kefir would be an enjoyable and gratifying activity for you to keep up with every day and to bring out the domestic goddess in you even more. Here is a guilt-free pleasure in the form of kefir cheese cake for you to try.
Kefir cheese cake
Raw Kefir Cheese Cake
This cheesecake made out of raw kefir cream also uses a date and almond crust and eggs which have already been separated. The result is a light, soft and fluffy raw cheesecake. All ingredients to be used are organic and fresh, that even the eggs, cream and milk should come from animals fed on organic pasture. Raw kefir cheese cake serves 8 to 10, with the use of an 8” diameter by 2 ½ “ deep Pyrex dish making an 8 x 1 ¼ inch thick cheesecake with a thin base.
Base ingredients: ¾ cup of almonds, ½ cup of pecans and ¾ cup of Californian dates. Half a cup of apricot kernels may be used in place of some nuts which are not available.
Kefir and kefir cream ingredients: ¼ cup of kefir grains, 3 cups of raw milk from organic pasture fed cows, ½ cup of kefir and 1 ½ cup of raw double weight cream.
Filling: ¾ cup of the same raw milk, 1 tbsp of gelatin, 2 cups of kefir cream, ¼ cup of raw honey, 2 egg yolks, ¼ tsp of vanilla essence, 2 tsp of lime or lemon juice, 2 egg whites and a pinch of Celtic sea salt.
The nuts take a two-day advance preparation. The almonds are soaked in water for 12 hrs, rinsed and left to sprout for 12 hrs more in jar turned on its side. Rinse once again, dry in the oven at low heat and turn occasionally until crisp and dry.
Mix the ¼ cup real kefir grains with 3 cups of raw full cream cow’s milk, culture at room temperature for 12 to 24 hrs and refrigerate. Remove the grains from kefir before use. Mix ½ cup kefir with 1 ½ cups raw double weight cream, leave to culture for 12 to 24 hrs and refrigerate the kefir cream until ready.
Now, you can put the raw kefir cheese cake together in these steps.
- Grind the nuts finely. Chop the dates and process with the nut flour. Press the nut and date mixture with your fingers into a dish brushed with butter, forming a thin crust with the bottom of a glass.
- For your kefir cheese cake filling, pour milk into a small saucepan, sprinkle with gelatin and warm slightly while stirring until the gelatin is dissolved. Sit the saucepan in bowl of cold water to cool the mixture into room temperature.
- Combine the kefir cream, raw honey, egg yolks, vanilla and lime/lemon juice in a food processor and process at low to medium speed for about half a minute or until it’s smooth. This will be the egg custard.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt and put aside. Quickly add the cooled milk-gelatin mixture to the egg custard in the food processor and mix at slow to medium speed until smooth.
- Transfer he mixture to a bowl, gently fold in the egg whites, pour the mixture onto the crust and refrigerate.
After several hours of refrigeration, you can now serve your raw kefir cheese cake which is packed with probiotic enzymes and health benefits.